Thursday, August 20, 2009

Dads’ Garden

 

August is Jims’ Law of the Harvest month.

August is why he spends countless hours in May, June & July weeding, watering, re-planting and sweating over this garden.

I tease him about it being his SALSA GARDEN. His prize crops are tomatoes and peppers. He makes a mighty mean salsa!

Oh, we get to eat a lot of the fruits of his labor. Every day! Nothing better.

But there is too much for just the two of us. So he fills the old metal wash tub with garden goodies and makes the rounds in the neighborhood….zucchini, cucumbers, summer squash, TOMATOES, beets, onions. It’s a great way for this reserved man to find common ground with our neighbors. He also takes his harvest tub to work. Yesterday, the cleaning lady took everything in it!I think people like to see him coming.

This is why he does it.

1 comment:

Becky said...

He DOES have the BEST and most beautiful garden ever! We need to come up to Spokane so we can get some things out of the "tub" too! What I crave the most are his tomatoes . . . we have a couple of puny tomato plants, but they got planted late so we aren't getting much out of them. There is NOTHING like a garden grown tomato- I will just eat it plain. Can't do that with a store bought tomato, that's for sure!